Metal Detecting – a possible fund raising idea
One of the ways being considered by Devizes Rotary to raise funds is to organise a metal detecting rally. An example advert for such an event can be found here http://mailchi.mp/leisure-promotions/our-next-lp-dig-is-announced-1381721. The ‘photos below were taken at that event.
Our responsibilities would include:
- Finding a suitable farmer/landowner with a minimum 100 acres field who will allow us to detect for the day.
- Marshalling the car park.
- Marshalling the detector users so that they do not wander into the wrong fields.
- Organising and selling food to the users.
We would subcontract the following responsibilities to an Experienced Event Organiser (EEO):
- Advertising the event and ensuring a good turnout on the day.
- Liaising with the landowner to ensure everything runs smoothly on the day and any problems are dealt with quickly & efficiently.
The takings would be split 20% to the EEO, 80% to us. We would charge £15 per head, so 200 users would mean £3,000 takings, ie £2,400 to us and £600 to the EEO.
Out of our £2,400 there would be the expense of toilet blocks if there were no permanent ones nearby. No fee will be payable to the farmer as he will receive 50% of anything valuable that is found on the day. On one event in Lambourn 5 gold torcs were found and both the finder and the landowner received £50,000 each!
So … watch this space 🙂