Devizes Rotary Youth Speaks 2017
The annual Youth Speaks Competition, organised by the Rotary Club of Devizes, was won by the team from St Nicholas Primary School, Bromham. Seven teams of 4-5 students each met at the Nursteed Community Primary School on March 24 in an event designed to improve the public speaking skills and confidence of participants.
Each team spoke for 10-15 minutes in front of an audience of parents, families, teachers and Rotarians on topics ranging from Donald Trump’s Mexican Wall to The Victorians. The winning team from St Nicholas spoke on Crime and Punishment Through History.
A special prize for the most outstanding individual speaker went to Evan Dummett from Rowde Church of England School – his team spoke about the RAF in World War II.
Organiser Jean Allen, from the Rotary Club, said: “The adjudicators were particularly impressed with the passion of delivery, the level of research and the capable way the young people dealt with summarising and answering the questions from the floor. The calibre of all the teams was outstanding, and it was a very close result.”
Here are details of each entry:
St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School
- Teacher: Laura Wilcox
- Subject: Donald Trump – Should a wall be built between Mexico and America?
- Team: Athena Hopkins (Chair), Emily Chamminas (Speaker), Olivia Campbell (Proposer)
- Notes: Year 6 have written to Donald Trump regarding this wall and it was thought that the year 5 would like to be involved in this discussion as well. The team are from year 5.
St Nicholas VC Primary School
- Teacher: Jess Geary
- Subject 1: Woodland Wanderers
- Team 1: Amy Hulford(Chair), Lucy Farroll (Speaker), Isabella Bayley (Proposer), Alice Lawrence (Member), Dylan Cottee (Member).
- Notes: Woodland Wanderers is our school’s version of Forest School. The children attend Woodland Wanderers throughout their time at school and it provides invaluable learning experiences and opportunities.
- Subject 2: Crime and Punishment through History
- Team 2: Emma Heal (Chair), Lloyd McKendrick (Speaker), Laura Begent (Proposer), Alex Body (Member), Stevie Harris (Member).
- Notes: This topic caught the imagination of the children last term. They will talk about what interested them most and how learning was brought to life in the classroom.
Rowde Church of England Primary Academy
- Teachers: Sue Hulford and Claire Tarrant
- Subject 1: World War 2
- Team 1: Evie Skinner (Chair), Isabelle Sartin (Speaker), Evan Dummett (Proposer)
- Notes: Discussing WW2 day, the main historical events of WW2, life in Britain during the war and the effect on clothing. Hoping to bring Artifacts from WW2.
- Subject 2: The Victorians
- Team 2: Kahlia Rutherford (Chair), Mya James (Speaker), Maddison Harris (Proposer),
- Notes: Investigating life in a Victorian family, the dangers in the home and Queen Victoria. Kacey Smith (Member), Freya Jeffries (Member). All Year 5
Nursteed Community Primary School
- Teacher: Amanda Dunstone
- Subject 1: Feminism
- Team: Emily Rees (Chair), Gemma Haynes (Speaker), Joe Barker (Proposer), Holly May (Member)
- Notes: Discussing how Feminism affects Males and Females in society today
- Subject 2: How Technology is affecting our childhood
- Team: Grace Dowdeswell, (Chair), Ethan Sault (Speaker), Eve Wordsell (Proposer), Holly Budgell (Member)
- Notes: Technology – is it taking over from play? Is this a good or a bad thing?