Rotary Young Chef – Devizes Area Heat #1
Six budding young chefs attended the first heat of the Devizes Area Rotary Young Chef Competition 2016-17 last Friday evening at The Farm Cookery School near Bromham. It was a fantastic evening with all the contestants astonishing the three judges with their culinary skills.
Many congratulations to all those who took part, particularly the winner Beth Bogert who was one of the youngest competitors in the heat. Congratulations also to the judges who did a terrific job under very difficult circumstances given the quality of all the entrants, and finally thanks to the parents who provided all the support and encouragement needed to help develop some great Young Chefs!
A photo diary of the evening is shown below.
From left to right in the above picture: Bella Paxton, Beth Bogert, Oliver Barnes, Sophie Moorehouse, Eliza Amer and Amy Ross.
From left to right: Gianni Campanelli who owns the Dolciapani bakery in Devizes, Colin Lugg who is head of catering services at the Springfields Academy in Calne, and Gretchen who owns The Farm Cookery School near Bromham where the event was held.
The Judges do their rounds
Preparation well under way
Judges compare notes while parents look on
Courses arrive for tasting
Judges inspect the display tables
The contestants with their meals
From left to right:
- Starter: crunchy coconut prawns with a sweet chilli dipping sauce
- Main: Sweet potato and chickpea curry with basmati rice
- Dessert: Cool mango min cheesecake
- Starter: Flat mushrooms stuffed with bacon, onion, garlic & herb cream cheese with a bread crumb cheese topping
- Main: Chicken & leek pie topped with rough puff pastry served with carrots & green beans
- Dessert: Chocolate brownie served with warm chocolate sauce and fresh raspberries
- Starter: Sweet chilli king prawns on a sourdough toast garnished with fresh corriander
- Main: pan-fried lamb flavoured with risemary & mint, with sauteed potatoes and fresh green beans servied with a red wine condiment
- Dessert: Layered Eton mess in a glass including strawberries, raspberries whipped cream and meringue
- Starter: Home made vegetable soup
- Main: Thai-green chicken curry with lemon infused rice
- Dessert: Coconut creams with poached rhubarb
- Starter: Mini savory quiche with creamy goats cheese and sun dried tomatoes in a home made short crist pastry case with rocket leaves
- Main: home made lamb meatballs in a rich tomato sauce with cous cous
- Dessert: Mini cheesecake with a biscuit base, a layer of caramel and Nutella, cream cheese on top
- Starter: Italian flat breads topped with a salad of tomatoes, red onion, basil, olive oil, and shredded mozzarella
- Main: Risotto with salmon, fennel and peas
- Dessert: Individual pear and raspberry crumbles with ginger served with freshly whipped cream
The contestants with their certificates
In an extremely tough field with some outstanding young chefs the winner was:
Extremely well done Beth, a very worthy winner!
Heat #2 will be held tomorrow evening (17th October) when six new contestants will battle it out for a place in the area final.
Devizes Area Final
The area final will take place on Monday 7th November when the winners from both heats plus the two contestants with the next best marks from both heats will battle it out for the title of
Rotary Young Chef Devizes Area Champion for 2016-17